Thursday, June 18, 2015

An Ordinary Day

An ORDINARY Day

Wake, stretch, rise, eat, bather, dress, face the summertime heat, travel to Georgia, visit with family. 

It's an ORDINARY day.

The Christ-songs, the liturgy, the thousands of people gathered, the opening convocation message. All of these stir within me the gravitational pull that draws my helter-skelter self to the Center that is God. This feast for eyes and ears begins to satiate my hungry soul and quench my dry spirit. My mother's heart swells beyond previously-known boundaries as son, Brent, serves Communion to his Dad and me. 
For this child I prayed and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him. So now I give him to the LORD. For his whole life he will be given over to the LORD. (1Samuel 1: 27-28)

Yet, it is an ORDINARY day.

Families gather, ordinands process, the rich vibrations of voices and instruments stir--no, shake-- my senses to absorb the moving Spirit of God and to participate in highest praise. I want to shout. I want to dance. I want to laugh.  I want to clap my hands and "hug away" my joy and thanksgiving to the LORD with the beautiful Body of people here.

Still, it is an ordinary day.

The inspiring message by friend and Bishop Debbie that reminds us of God's never-ending love, the ordination prayer and laying on of hands for Brent, the passing of the Deacon stole from Rob to Brent (are there higher, more holy moments for a mother to witness?), the tears which flowed in place of words, the sweetness of grandsons hugging and congratulating their Daddy...

Nevertheless, it is an ORDINARY day.

These blessed moments in time, these mind-blowing, heart-filling, faith-enlarging, and soul-'beloving" moments, add up to a great and ORDINARY day. ORDINARY because, as one definition states, ORDINARY means "belonging to the usual order, or course." Though these moments may are not ordinary in human occurance, we remember what we know about God. We believe that God's mercies are new every morning. We trust that God never changes. We know that it is God's pleasure to give good gifts to those who ask God. We are confident that God, Who began a good work in us, will be faithful to complete it. And we are certain that Jesus Christ, our LORD and Savior, came that we might have life and have it abundantly. These promises, and many more, assure us that it is God's nature, God's ORDINARY way, to bless us, to fill us with joy, and to love us with an everlasting love.  Anything else would NOT be ORDINARY.

EVERYDAY is an ORDINARY day.


Thank-you, God for your EXTRAORDINARY love and for this ORDINARY day. Open my eyes to see you, to know your love, and to serve you each and every ORDINARY day.

No comments:

Post a Comment