Saturday, October 9, 2010

We are women ... hear us ROAR!

*We are women... hear us ROAR*! Wow, I just finished my first 5K Race for the Cure (breast cancer) with 20,000+ other beautiful people. My dear friend, Faye, lost her sister to breast cancer last May and I wanted to do something for her. As it turns out, the event did something for me. From the moment I parked my car to join our team for the race, I was teary-eyed. The sight of mass humanity, coming together for one ultimate purpose --- the knowledge that many of these people had lost loved ones to breast cancer --- the realization that two women in our own team of 25 men and women were breast cancer survivors --- the feeling of community and like-mindedness with the goal to defeat this disease ---all these things caused my heart to swell and my eyes to fill.
The old Helen Reddy song ( see* ) ran through my mind, as well as the phrase, "No man (woman) is an island." Do we need each other? You bet we do... even those of us who by nature are independent spirits. Sorrows shared are halved. Encouragement and support are worth their weight in gold. Yeah for the sisterhood--and brotherhood-- of LIFE. God bless, heal, and encourage those who struggle with the disease. Holy Spirit comfort those who mourn. God give wisdom to researchers and medical personnel to BEAT this disease. In Jesus' Name.

No comments:

Post a Comment