Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Empty Nest Musing #2 Is the Grocery Cart Half-empty of Half-full?

Oh, WOW! After 31 years of grocery shopping for the family, buying food for only two (Rob and me) threw me into a state of confusion and gave me a mini-panic attack.  I reached for items in my semi-conscious, habit-driven grocery shopping state, placed them in the buggy--then, suddenly realized I didn't need them anymore. OR, I shook my head in disbelief as I grasped the truth that Rob and I, alone, would take a year to eat all that! I bet I put 10 items into my cart, only to take them out and re-place them on their shelves. Tears came, again, but it didn't take long for me to appreciate the GOOD things about this new stage of grocery shopping. I can buy healthier food--without the threat of persecution from the kids when I arrive home. Boundless numbers of new recipes await my experimentation--again, without threat of persecution at home. The grocery bill is less, much less (of course, major $$$ are going to WKU to feed Philip).
Distributors don't have singles or couples in mind when they package items. Our crackers have gone stale and some fruit over-ripened. I am learning to buy less of these things and go back to the store more often. Cooking is difficult, too. I can't seem to adjust our favorite family recipes to feed two. So, I am making the full recipes and freezing half. Bonus! What joy it is to go to the freezer and find that all I need is time...time to let it thaw!
I've bragged in the past that I don't mind change but, so far, I can't say that about this empty nest. We'll make it, though. These little bumps in life are teaching me some good lessons, if I will just open my eyes to see them.
Open the eyes of my heart, Lord. I want to see You. In every thing, give thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment