Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Power and Gift of Memory




Two weeks ago, we returned home to Brentwood after spending five fabulous weeks in Costa Rica. I kid you not, there are many times each day when I ask myself if that trip really happened. It seems the only way to answer my question is to pull out the photos (still on Rob's computer) and share with Rob what we remember. We may be "back in the swing of things," here-- full force -- but thank God for our memories of CR. Now, if it sounds like escapism, it is. The power of memory and the sights and stories of places and people we came to love give refreshment to these hectic days. As we sit still, smile, and take deep breaths, our blood pressure lowers and heart rate slows down--sort of Yoga for the mind.
The class I teach in Old Testament Worship emphasizes the power of memory, how God commanded (in loving parent-fashion) that His people remember God's mighty acts done in their behalf (thus the Passover and other feasts). God also tells His people to constantly tell these stories to their children so that they, too, will remember and have knowledge of God's loving care. God gave us the power of memory--a gift that increases in value as I get older.
Count Your Blessings, a hymn we don't sing much any more, is a good reminder to remember all the things God has done for me. Just as photos of CR remind me of wonderful times and help set my present world back in order, memories of God's blessings do the same and even more. Beyond the blessings of this life, we have the promise and hope of eternal glory. Remember that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment