Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Shell-seekers


Another day, another dollar ... sand dollar, that is. Rob and I spotted five on this morning's sunrise stroll. Just what is it we hope to find hunting for shells on the beach? Color, shape, size. Every year since I was a little girl, I have dragged bags of shells home from the beach. Some shells made it into lamp bases, some were glued onto picture frames, some hung in macrame nets (remember the 70's?). I think that, in a way, we're hoping to capture a precious moment--to memorialize a fabulous time in our lives--to hold onto something that, just maybe, will freeze us in that special event in that special time. Whatever it is, I'm collecting shells again this trip. Don't know what I'll do with them, but will worry about that later.
Yesterday, we did a little beach clean-up. This is an outstanding, beautiful place but we've noticed that, with each high tide, much trash washes up on shore. We took trashbags and picked up junk on a quarter-mile of beach in front of our house. I hate water bottles!
We tried two different restaurants for the first time Monday and Tuesday--local food and very good! Today, we walked about five miles, played in the ocean, and read. Rob is composing a book of our stay in Costa Rica. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Philip and Lana leave in the morning for Brentwood. They will join the church choir on tour to the Gulf. Rob and I stay for one more week. ;-)
I have loved you with an everlasting love. I have called you and you are mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment